Friday, May 21, 2010

What programming application should I use to achieve the following:?

I want to have a GUI in which I can type a store number and press search. The application should now extract (from preferably an Excel spreadsheet) that particular store's hours and display them. Now if I search for a second store number, I want the application to display only the hours of the week that are longer than store # 1.





1. What programming language should I use? (I'm thinking Acess, Visual Basic, AutoIt)


2. Depending on my choice of programming language, would it be possible to use the Excel spreadsheet as the source for the data?


3. Do I need to use any special logic when trying to compare hours (10am-5pm vs. 9am-5pm)?

What programming application should I use to achieve the following:?
I would suggest using VisualBasic, if that's what you are comfortable with, and hooking it to an Access backend - if it's only going to be used by you, or just a couple of people. Access doesn't do well with several concurrent users.


In my experience, getting data directly from an Excel spreadsheet can get messy, and if one little cell is referenced incorrectly, everything will be hosed. I would strongly suggest importing the data from the Excel spreadsheet into a table in Access, and getting the store hour data from there. As far as comparing hours, you may want to convert them to 24 hour time format, then compare, That way you don't have to worry about all of the calcs necessary to make sure the program doesn't recognize 10am as later than 9pm. In 24 hour format, it would be comparing 10 to 21, and will avoid those issues. Good luck.
Reply:I'd suggest using a Microsoft Language if you're planning to work with MS applications like Excel to read from. Either VB or C# is good.


After you read the value from the excel sheet, you'll need to convert it to a DateTime object, both are easily done in VB or C#. After you convert it to DateTime doing the compare is easy, you can easily check if one value is before/after/same time as the other.

id cards

No comments:

Post a Comment